Some quick revsion of the main parts of the plot courtesy of Sparknotes
Act I, Scene III (Line 375+)
Act II, Scene III (315+)
Answering Leaving Cert Questions on Othello
Twenty questions to consider when answering a question on Othello
- Have I read the question carefully and underlined the key words?
- Am I clear on what the question is actually asking me?
- Have I come up with some alternatives to the key words?
- Do I agree or disagree with the views expressed in the question? To what extent?
- Have I used a brainstorm to generate 6 – 8 points that I can use in my answer?
- Have I numbered these points/paragraphs so that they are in a logical order?
- Have I assigned 2 -4 quotations per paragraph that I can use to back up the points that I make?
- Have I included an opening paragraph that addresses the question in a general sense, as well as using the key word(s) from the question?
- Have I included a topic sentence close to the beginning of each paragraph that makes clear the point that I intend to make in that paragraph?
- Does each paragraph deal with one point comprehensively?
- Is each point/paragraph relevant to the question asked?
- Have I included 2 –4 quotations per point/paragraph in my answer?
- Are the quotations/references used appropriately to back up the point that I am making?
- Have I avoided needless irrelevant summarising of the play itself?
- Have I used the key words from the question and/or their alternatives in the majority of paragraphs?
- Have I made sure that each point/paragraph is clearly connected (through connecting words/ phrases/ sentences) with the question?
- Have I included link words or sentences to connect the paragraphs where possible?
- Have I referred to seeing the play being performed at any stage in my answer?
- Have I included a closing paragraph where I’ve summarised the points I’ve made, as well as referred clearly back to the question; and concluded on a particular point of view in relation to the question?
- Have I given clear evidence of personal engagement with the play throughout my answer and particularly in the closing paragraph?
*Sample character question and answer here*
*Sample theme question and answer here*